Photo by Melody

Wildlife: Heidi Chronicles: The Kits Are Here!, 1 by DreamOfSpring

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DreamOfSpring

In reply to: Heidi Chronicles: The Kits Are Here!

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Heidi Chronicles:  The Kits Are Here!
DreamOfSpring wrote:
I really need to get to sleep early tonight, so I'm going to leave you with just these few words:

I didn't see the kits tonight either at the door or the buffet, but it is not unusual for Heidi to leave them home sometimes early on.

Tonight Bast alternated between walking on all fours and on her hands. I tried to get that elusive pic of her walking back across the lawn, but she caught me off guard. The camera had gone into sleep mode. By the time it woke up, she was almost to the shrubs and gone. There was no time to aim as I tried to follow her [behind me] with the camera while waiting for it to wake up. I ended up just barely catching the last end of her on the edge of the picture frame. Although it is not much better than the pictures I had shown previously, I've attached it below.

Tonight in addition to her cat food, Bast ate all the animal cookies she could get, all the vitamin and mineral lased dog candies she could get, and 2 packets of jelly. Until tonight she had refused jelly. Tonight when I was passing the packets around to the others I saw her nose stretching up toward me as though curious about this food, so I offered her one. In stead of taking it in her mouth as I had expected, she licked it for a few minutes while I held the end. Then she reached up with her hands (another good sign) to take it.

The BIG, 'you won't believe it' news tonight is...I had Widget's peanut butter yogurt candy with me again. They were such a bit hit. I tossed a bunch to Heidi when the cat food began to run out. Later, when she came to my knee in search of more, I held on out to her to see what she would do. Without a moments hesitation, she reached out with both hands to take the small nickel-sized candy from my hand. The pads of her hands touched mine gently, no claws. After that I gave her 4 or 5 more the same way. This was the 1st time that Heidi had ever taken anything that small from my hand. It wasn't that long ago that she was afraid to take a cookie from my hand with me holding it by the very edge between thumb and forefinger; back then she would either ignore me altogether eating the cookie only if I dropped it, or she would reach out with one hand to paw at it gently and I would drop it so she could eat it. It had taken a very long time for her to trust me enough to reach out and take a cookie from me. For a long time she did so with trepidation. Tonight she reached up to take dog candies as calmly and naturally as Dennis. : D

Edited to add: Since what is going on in that photo is not be at all apparent, I thought I would interpret it for you. Those are Bast's hind legs held aloft as she is walking on her front legs.

This message was edited Jul 30, 2009 12:54 AM