Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Hydrangeas: a few hydrangea questions, 1 by jmp24

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jmp24

Subject: a few hydrangea questions

Forum: Hydrangeas

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of a few hydrangea questions
jmp24 wrote:
We have several hydrangeas, not the same variety, they all look different. Most were those little florist give plants, now grown huge. As florist plants, they were one color, but after planting them and having them grow big, they bloom differently. We don't do anything to the soil. Naturally, the colors range from blue to pink to purple. I always thought hydrangeas were either blue or pink, depending on what you did to the soil, but I guess that isn't true anymore. I have two questions:

Someone on my street has a large bush that has two different colored flowers, one is purple/pink the other is blue - how is this possible and where can I get one?? Is it possible that the flower color changes as the flowers get older, and that is what I am seeing - or could they have planted 2 small shrubs of different colors together, letting them grow together? You all should see this plant, it is gorgeous!

Also, someone gave me a 3 node stem cutting of a variegated hydrangea, she said hers has never bloomed. Are there several types of variegated or just one? If just one, what color can I expect and what is the best way to root this cutting? Right now I have it in water. Here is a picture if anyone can tell what it is by looking!