Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Mamaaaaaaa!, 1 by HollyAnnS

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright HollyAnnS

In reply to: Mamaaaaaaa!

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Mamaaaaaaa!
HollyAnnS wrote:
You may have seen this pic earlier this spring. I think they are the largest woodpecker. The wing span is just incredible. You should see them moving from tree to tree they fly with their wings tucked at an angle.
I was at a bird watching program and they talked about different ways to hang suet so only clinging birds can get it. Maybe your neighbors don't care who comes to dine, we don't but I fixed my Dad's so only the clingers could get his. I had just a piece of chicken wire nailed up on the telephone pole out back but the cakes kept disappearing, we think the squirrels were talking them. So I bought a holder that snaps shut and put it up. The suet cakes started to last a lot longer. Sally check with the butcher shop for suet, years ago when we raised a few pigs and Ric butchered them, he would put large pieces of fat in the freezer for us to use in those chicken wire feeders. Guess that was why we only did it till summer when the fat would have gone rancid, I know you can cook it down and mix it so that it doesn't, I have some recipes and a book around here somewhere that tells you how to make your own suet cakes. Ric helped JR make some a month or two ago with some fat from a ham, maybe added some peanut butter and bird seed they had a great time.