Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tropical Zone Gardening: Orchids then and now. The story of 13 orchids and counting.., 1 by Metrosideros

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Metrosideros

In reply to: Orchids then and now. The story of 13 orchids and counting..

Forum: Tropical Zone Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Orchids then and now. The story of 13 orchids and counting..
Metrosideros wrote:
Most common Orchids cost from $5 to $8 here; usually Dendrobiums, Oncidiums, or Phalenopsis. Rare Orchids cost more. The Garden Exchange in Hilo is a great place to find unusual types, for a decent price.

I have been given most of my Orchid plants, or gotten cuttings, from friends and neighbors. I would buy Angraecum Orchids for my Madagascar garden, but I've never seen any for sale, and don't know anyone who has any.

Are there any nurseries that flask (propagate) Orchids in Florida, Texas, or California? That would greatly reduce their cost.
Thailand has a lot of Orchid flasking businesses setting up which are supposed to give Hawai'i a lot of competition for Orchid sales in Japan, Hong Kong, and maybe the USA.

The photo shows why some Orchids show up in Hawaiian gardens as volunteers. It is Spathoglottis plicata producing seeds! When the seed capsules ripen, they split open and the tiny dust-like seeds go floating in the breeze.