Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Dahlias: Speaking of dahlia imperialis, 1 by willow22552

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright willow22552

In reply to: Speaking of dahlia imperialis

Forum: Dahlias

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Speaking of dahlia imperialis
willow22552 wrote:
Well, I took a saw and cut between the two stalks, both of which had shoots started. When they were still together , the whole clump barely fit into a 32 gallon plastic container. Cut apart, they were still so big that I wasn't sure how to plant them. So I took a pair of scissors and cut off all the tubers and just planted the stalk that had 2 sprouts a piece. I threw the tubers in the compose and rubbed the dirt on my pants and congratulated myself for a job well done. Figuring that they grow or they don't. Well the one in the wine barrel, now has 3 stalks growing a very, very healthy and the one in the greenhouse is already touching the ceiling( 8') and I have pinched it 3 times. I not sure what's going to happen with that bad boy. The cutting I took is still at a reasonable height , around 40 inches. I wished I had known yours was gone because I could have easily sent you one. I will make sure you have one next year, knowing now that I can trim it down so postage will not be so extreme.