Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: A few pics from a beginner, 1 by Sharkey

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Sharkey

Subject: A few pics from a beginner

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of A few pics from a beginner
Sharkey wrote:
Well, I think I've finally become brave enough to post some pictures of some of my first clem blooms. I've been very reluctant to do so after seeing such gorgeous photos from all of the pro's and such beautiful, mature plants. But, I have very few people to share in my excitement over my new addiction, so here goes.

I started out last year planting about 5 liners and having no idea what I was doing. I didn't really believe what I read about those million-dollar holes you are supposed to dig. What is funny is that I couldn't imagine why you people would order clems through the mail and pay those prices when I could get them from Lowe's for 5 or 6 bucks. That was before the addiction. I won't even tell you how many I have now, but in addition to the many I have bought from SSV and Uncle Greenthumb, I have dozens in one-gallon pots that were bought either as liners or bareroot from Walmart. I enjoy the challenge of growing things in that way, but like to supplement with immediate gratification as well. I won't even have a place to plant all of these if they continue to live and thrive.

My first photo is one that was bought as a liner last spring and spent the winter on the deck in a 4-inch pot because I forgot about it. I assumed it was dead when I found it this year, but planted it in a large clay pot. Now it is one of my favorites, HF Young.
BTW, please tell me if any of these were incorrectly tagged.
And, yes, I'm aware of many mistakes I've already made and I'm sure I'll continue to make. I just can't wait until next spring and summer to see what my clems that I planted this yr will look like.

This message was edited Jul 2, 2009 12:05 AM