Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tropical Zone Gardening: Papua New Guinea, 1 by tropicbreeze

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright tropicbreeze

In reply to: Papua New Guinea

Forum: Tropical Zone Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Papua New Guinea
tropicbreeze wrote:
We overnighted in the village (Iorabaiwa) where the young bloke died. He died suddenly in the middle of the most difficult part. Family asked for privacy and that no details be published. The locals believe it was sorcery and the "non-locals" believe an undiagnosed pre-existing medical condition (you have to have a medical clearance before going). The place where the woman died was close to there in the middle of some very high steep slopes, rumour was a combination of exhaustion and dehydration.

It's not just a matter of being fit, although that's an important part of it. It's also mindset, being mentally prepared, and being in a supporting group, both guides and fellow walkers.

It was with Kokodaspirit, but with local guides, not Australian guides. For me it wasn't just the history, fauna, flora, but was also the culture. I wanted to learn about the locals, about their lifestyles, what they cultivated, what they gathered from the forest, etc. I picked up a bit of Tok Pisin as well. It was a great all round experience.

Photo: mid morning of day 5.