Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Katlian

In reply to: Wedding Bouquet flowers

Forum: Canadian Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Wedding Bouquet flowers
Katlian wrote:
Shirley,
With a greenhouse it gives you a lot of flexibility to get things blooming earlier than usual. If you have an extra fridge you can keep spring bulbs chilled and get them to bloom a few weeks later than usual. Annuals are probably the easiest to grow because they flower for a long time so the schedule doesn't have to be so precise.

I got married last summer and grew most of the flowers for the bouquets. My bouquets were long stemmed flowers tied together with ribbon (wrap the end of the stems with a wet paper towel and plastic wrap, then wrap the whole thing with a wide ribbon and tie a big bow.) They included Lisianthus, Roses, Iris (which I had to purchase because they were out of season but I wanted them to match the designs on my dress), goldenrod, and delphinium with some assorted greenery. We were married in an arborteum garden so I bought a huge stack of tin pots at Ikea and grew bright colored annuals in them. They were used to define the "aisle" in the garden and placed along the sides of the footbridge that serves as the garden entrance. Then someone picked them up and brought them up to the reception where they were placed on the tables with some vases of cut flowers. At the end of the reception I gave away the potted plants and cut flowers to all of my friends who had helped us with the prepping and decorating and cleanup.
Here are photos of my friends making the bouquets, the cake my mom made, and tables at the reception.