Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Vines and Climbers: Aristolochia cymbifera!, 1 by LouisianaMark

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright LouisianaMark

In reply to: Aristolochia cymbifera!

Forum: Vines and Climbers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Aristolochia cymbifera!
LouisianaMark wrote:
Johanna,

I have some 2 year old ringens vines grown from seed. They are looking very healthy (much better than last year), but no buds yet. I believe they may bloom in the fall as the day length and temperature fall, but I am not sure of this. Some of these aristolochias are a little ornery when it comes to blooming. I think many of them prefer shade or at least afternoon shade, and I suspect that most like to really spread their roots. I have mine in 5 gallon pots. I don't want to put them in the ground, lest they get unruly and out of control. I have some Itarana vines that are 2 or 3 years old, that I just moved to a mostly shaded location, and they are looking happier (bigger leaves, more growing tips), but still no buds. That is the one I am really waiting for. I'm not sure that this cymbifera is really a Gonzaga--it looks like a hybrid to me. I'll have to email the seed vendor to see what he thinks.

Gordo,

To hand pollinate the aristos you have to do surgery on the "flowers". You'll need a small pair of scissors with pointy tips, and a small paint brush for the pollen. Although the visible part of the flower looks very different on the various aristolochia species, the innards are nearly identical. Most aristo flowers are open for 2 days (some wither and linger for a few more). The flowers are possibly unique in that the stigmae (female parts) are pollen receptive only on the first day. The pollen is released on the second day. The stigmae and anthers are part of the same organ if you will, called the gynostemium (sp?). On the first day the flower is open it typically has a scent to attract flies. The flies that enter the pipe may carry pollen from another pipevine. When they enter the main chamber of the flower, they crawl over and around the gynostemium, and the pollen on their bodies is transferred to the stigmae.

Here is a pic of a day 1 gibertii gynostemium (below). The white surfaces are the stigmae (swish your paint brush here):

Mark