Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: I have never transplanted a clematis and need help, 1 by MLT

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright MLT

In reply to: I have never transplanted a clematis and need help

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of I have never transplanted a clematis and need help
MLT wrote:
Thanks Dawn and Guru! I'm going to have to ponder this for a while, since I really can't decide whether to move this clem to a completely new spot somewhere or not, and I hate to chop it down in full bloom. I have neglected all my clems (only about 8 of them) this spring because I am a daylily addict and was busy making a new bed for the 60 or so new DLs and planting them all! I don't feed and care for the clematis like I should.

Guru, I always want more clematis, but I have a hard time figuring out where to put them. I can see from your posts of your gorgeous gardens that I could get some ideas from you! I do have 3 of them scrambling around with the other perennials - Ernest Markham is climbing over a huge peony, Ville de Lyon is in a big hardy geranium, and Venosa Violacea? sp? is sprawling around a knifophia (sp? again). I have Henryi and Julia Correvon and another whose name I don't remember on a big arbor. Ville de Lyon doesn't bloom much for me. Henryi took 3 years to get going, but it is awesome now. I also have a sweet autumn clematis that I might take out and replace with a smaller one. It has formed a huge ball from lack of pruning on a post on our front porch. I should have known better, because I saw it's parent plant! It had climbed clear to the top of a 20' post and formed a big ball of blooms and foliage up there. I also got Avante Garde 3 years ago. The blooms are not nearly as impressive as the pictures on the web sites. I tried to grow Will Goodwin twice with no luck. I planted Julia Correvon in the same spot, and she took off.
That's my clematis story.

I would love to see your place, Guru, since we almost live in the same county!

Lisa

Here is Henryi: