Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Hybridizers: It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 3, 1 by atenkley

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright atenkley

In reply to: It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 3

Forum: Hybridizers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 3
atenkley wrote:
ZM,

I've been closely observing the plants from the Scabiosia mix. I see basically three types: Singles, intermediate Scabosia with a few modified disk florets and the completly Scabiousia types with all disk florets modified. I'm wondering if there are multiple factors involved or maybe an incomplete dominance type scenario or a combination of both. I would speculate that a cross between the intermediate and the complete Scabiosia could result in more Scabiosia flowered plants than the cross with Scabiosa flowers and non-Scabiosa flowers from a non-Scabosia line. If one is looking to maximize the Scabiosia/Echinacea look, it may pay to do some sibling crosses. If multiple recessive factors are involved, the single flowers from a Scabosia line may still contain a needed gene.... You may have some experience/evidence to support or disprove this....I'm just thinking outloud!

I agree about the Ruffles flower pictures. These were early singles and since then, I've found many complete doubles, but they are the short petal, tight layered type. I also am more attracted to the less formal look.

Your idea about protecting flowers to preserve pollen sure is paying off for me too! Before protecting, I was not very successful in beating the pollen gatherers to the flowers....as I tend to fiddle with the Japanese Morning Glories first thing. I used fiberglass window screen to make the "cages" and they seem to work well. I'm still trying to finalize the most efficient size to minimize weight. The dark picture gives you an idea how I constructed them.

Arlan