Clematis: Planting , 1 by ClematisGuru

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ClematisGuru

In reply to: Planting

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Planting
ClematisGuru wrote:
i do not tilt. crown more likely to expose root over time or heave in cold winters....you have to go too deep with a tilt to be following best practice guidelines.

no gravel or stones, holds air pockets between which freezes and is not good in dormant climates. no need to. that won't save poor drainage from ground condition or heavy clay soil.

i plant in holes 12 inches wide and 18 inches deep. very good success with this. holes sometimes as close as touching. have huge plants with touching holes. see attached photo from last weekend. etoile violette and lady betty balfour,each 9 ft tall plus. touching holes, each in it's own collar. just put two more in, one on each side of these tow, also touching holes. blue elizabeth and a new allanah both from ssv.

i use a collar around the clem to hold in amended soil, compost and goodies and id the hole. more common in europe than here, as i have learned recently, altho for me necessity was the mother of invention. there is a thread on this somewhere on the forum i started with photo.
god luck all. every garden is different, but i am becoming more confident in what creates high success ration and a good, vigorous plant in my zone...