Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Best Catmint?, 1 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: Best Catmint?

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Best Catmint?
DonnaMack wrote:
I've had Dawn to Dusk for several years and it does not appear to die out in the center, but if it did so I would have a failsafe. It tends to form little clumplets near the main plant. I dig them up, pot them for a few days and then move them to other locations. I bought six plants from Bluestone and was able to move so many clumplets that I use it as an edging plant - I must have 20. So if they did start to die out I would certainly have plenty of replacements.

I haven't noticed that it attracts bees (I'm allergic to their sting). An occasional bumblebee, but they are not aggressive. Snowfkake blooms much earlier, but it really needs deadheading because the whiteness of the flowers makes it clear when the bloom are fading. It is also less dense, and seeds less. And it blooms quite early - mine has been in bloom for weeks.

You know it's funny. A neighbor asked why I have blooms from April to November, or later, in our zone. I told her: verbena, nepeta, salvia. Here's Snowflake.