Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: New to Dave's Garden, 1 by MissSherry

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright MissSherry

In reply to: New to Dave's Garden

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of New to Dave's Garden
MissSherry wrote:
Cat, variegated frits prefer passionvines here, which they lay their eggs on until the gulf frits show up and take over the vines. At that point, they use common violets, with the purple flowers and heart-shaped leaves. I always leave a few big clumps of violets in my garden - they look pretty - and they usually use them, I guess because the fertilizer and extra water spill over from the plants around them, and they get extra big there. They don't use flax here, like they do in Texas.
I love Shady Oaks! The plants are so big for the money, and they keep adding new varieties of nectar and host plants, keeping it interesting.
My sweetbay moth cats are getting really big, but they keep eating and eating! I guess they'll cocoon pretty soon. I've posted a picture of one of them.
I released a red-spotted purple, a red admiral, and a sleepy orange today, another good butterfly day! The spicebush swallowtail cats are eating and growing, and yet another one has pupated, so I'll be releasing a good many of them in the near future.
I had this palamedes swallowtail cat that I named "Still Eating" because I said those words so many times when I'd check it out in its cage - I thought it'd never quit! It was the fattest, biggest cat I've seen in a while, with the fattest head ever. Well, it finally quit eating, and it's pupated - it's gotta make an extra big butterfly!
Sherry