Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Plum Pudding and color questions, 1 by Noreaster

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Noreaster

Subject: Plum Pudding and color questions

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Plum Pudding and color questions
Noreaster wrote:
I just bought Plum Pudding and planted it in a spot where it will get all day high shade and then direct sun in the latter hours of the day. I know, not ideal, but that's what I've got. I really wanted something purple and/or silvery, so it caught my eye at the nursery. My question is, what is likely to happen to the color as the season progresses? I know it will probably not be as purple, but I really don't want it to get murky the way some of mine do. For instance, Prince, and Purple Petticoats are nice for me early on, but then turn an unattractive shade of dark greenish purple. I don't want that. I don't know if they are in too much shade, or it's just their natural habit. Prince gets morning sun, afternoon shade.

I have Guardian Angel on the other half of this bed, which gets even more shade, and that one looks fantastic from Spring to Fall. I would have purchased another of those for this spot, but they didn't have it. Another one which holds a pretty color all season for me in dappled shade is Gypsy Dancer. Again, not readily available and also too small for this spot.

Does soil acidity affect color at all? (my soil is pretty acidic)

So...experiences with Plum Pudding and/or any non Spring color pics of it to share? Other choices I passed on today were Amethyst Mist and Raspberry Ice...would either of those have been a better choice?

Here is mine from today

This message was edited May 27, 2009 2:08 PM