Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Toadstools and fungi, 1 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: Toadstools and fungi

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Toadstools and fungi
Gitagal wrote:
doc--

I got the leaves to root from Karen (kachinagirl)) in summer of 2005.
The picture below will show you what I had to start with.

I KNOW I need to pot it up to a bigger pot--but have not done it yet....They are in tight, small pots....I really do not know much about Epis...sorry! You'd have to ask someone from CA....
I do not know if they need to be cut back to make the growth more compact?
I do not know what hey like as far as fertilizer--probably NOt anything too high in the #'s....
I do not know what makes them bloom--or NOT bloom....I just have these two--and the NBC--which i also got from Karen. That has not bloomed for me either---it is HUGE--mostly tall. It grows those spikes--which then leaf out. I have cut them back abd rooted the pieces....Just playing around....

The cutting I gave you is probably close to 2 years old.....

It is a challenge to have this broad a plant hanging by my LR window all winter! Two of them--yet! My poor Ric-Rac Cactus got a dark corner because of it....and it too grew all these long, leafless branch-extensions that make all these dry air-roots---UGH!
Funny thing is--when I cut up these skinny "fronds"--they root and produce the typical ric-rac leaves....I think it is a response to not enough light when they grow them....

Good luck! Hope you DO get to see it bloom.....

Gita

edited to say--the one on the left is the NBC--on the right are the two Red Epis....

This message was edited May 21, 2009 10:26 PM