Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: winged elm creating a major problem, 1 by chris_lcf530

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright chris_lcf530

Subject: winged elm creating a major problem

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of winged elm creating a major problem
chris_lcf530 wrote:
Hi everyone,

This tree was ID'ed as a winged elm...ID thread.. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/753534/

I took down a couple of trees around the winged elm to make it a very happy tree.
The problem is that is now sooooo happy that it has started producing mass seedlings! I really mean thousands and thousands!!

I love the shape and look of the tree, thats why I picked that one to stay and the others to go.
I hate to say it, but the tree has got to go. It is throwing way to many babies to keep up with.
They blow all over the yard, they are growing in every crack and crevice of my property.
They are even in my garden that is on the other side of the house and over 600' away.

I would love a solution, but I would settle for the name of a similar shape tree.
A bonus would be a tree that wildlife would enjoy.
When I plant the new tree, I can put it about 16' off the house instead of the 12' that the winged elm is now.

The Elm is to the left of the garage, and just a bit higher.
Thanks for all suggestions.

chris

This message was edited May 20, 2009 7:54 AM