Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Bakeri Blue Spruce drooping limp What's Wrong?, 1 by jhart

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jhart

Subject: Bakeri Blue Spruce drooping limp What's Wrong?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bakeri Blue Spruce drooping limp What's Wrong?
jhart wrote:
In early-April, we had a local company plant a Bakeri Picea Pungens (they spelled it Bacheri). It had been doing fine as far as I could tell, then suddenly today I noticed the new growth and tips of the branches are drooping and very limp. I'm trying to figure out what could be wrong. We have had a pretty wet spring here, so I don't think it's from not enough water. We also have drip irrigation but I have only used it 2 times because of all our rain. I also used a tree ring sprinkler on it 2 times for deep watering during a string of days with no rain. So since it seems like it's not from underwatering, I'm wondering if it's from overwatering, although like I said I haven't watered it myself much because of the frequent rain.
Today being the day I noticed the droopy limp problem, I felt the soil and it felt quite moist, and we also had about a quarter inch of rain yesterday.
The tree was planted in clay soil with a healthy amount of compost added to break up the clay.
Any ideas?
This is my first conifer, and I love it.