Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: Butterfly ID Please, 1 by DATURA12

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DATURA12

In reply to: Butterfly ID Please

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Butterfly ID Please
DATURA12 wrote:
Sorry this is so late, forgot to ck. back at my post. About the citrus trees being over wintered...I have a large 10 X10' pop up greenhouse I use to put them in for the winter. Around Feb. they start to bloom and continue till the nights get too warm, which is right about now. I bet you could get away without a greenhouse though, you would just take them in when there is a chance of frost. I used to do that but I just got tired of worrying about them. The Satsuma orange can be grown in the ground here but its iffy with our weather. I would only put them on the south side of the house. I have one that I got in a trade in the fall of last year and I swear it still has not even put on a new leaf. Everything else I have is doing great. If you grow them you need to know that they attract white fly, I have to spray them if they get bad with hort. oil. The oil is not supposed to hurt the cats, it works by the oil clogging the breathing of the sucking insectsb basically smothering them.
Debnes and anybody else that has citrus can weigh in on my comment.

Debnes, is the hops hard to grow? I have given that some thought for awhile now. Thanks for making feel better that the GST just didn't like the menu in my yard. LOL You know every year I add more and more native hosts plants and it seems I am getting less action. I did get this pic of a skipper this week.

Hope you all are well.
Peg