Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: The Hackberry Tree and other stuff..., 1 by Sharran

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Sharran

In reply to: The Hackberry Tree and other stuff...

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of The Hackberry Tree and other stuff...
Sharran wrote:
Well, just picked up some major limbs, still storms predicted, but tried to get what was down away from plants. And winds are still blowing.

Don't apologize for asking gardening questions, Charlie, glad to talk about my gardens. The bed you see, edged in brick and stone contains iris, the dread euphorbia, and in front daylilies. It is sort of my nursery in front. When I root cuttings or try new things, I put them there because it is just off my back deck. It needs to be weeded again since the rains seem never to stop.

The small tree is the magnolia I started a few years ago from seed. When we had the ice storm it was knocked down by a bigger limb, and froze to the ice. When I finally got the big limb off it, it popped right back up and now has new growth on it. It is very resilient.

At the top left you can see the edge of another bed, which contains iris, daylilies, and roses. It is a pretty large bed, but can't tell you the exact size. It keeps expanding.

You might not appreciate the assymetry of my flower beds, they just seem to evolve, and sometimes they don't stop.

Here is a photo of the magnolia when it was frozen to the ground, I think. I can't see it very well to know. Could be the wrong one. This was about a week after the storm.