Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Florida Gardening: Picture of the Day - Part 4, 1 by JaxFlaGardener

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright JaxFlaGardener

In reply to: Picture of the Day - Part 4

Forum: Florida Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Picture of the Day - Part 4
JaxFlaGardener wrote:
f4f - that is the 'flora pleno' cultivar of T. divaricata. It has fluffy, multiple petals while the non-cultivar has single flat petals. I've seen both for sale in the big box stores. They are typically labeled "Florida Gardenia" though it is not from Florida and not a gardenia! LOL I forgot to check to see if my 'flore pleno' is returning from the severe freezes, but I will do that now that you have reminded me I have one.

diverdown - that is a magnificent rose! Do you happen to know what cultivar or species name it is?

I never argue when a store manager offers me a plant at a lower cost. LOL I got my Nepenthes 'miranda' pitcher plant http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/73797/ in a similar deal as KatG's orchid. I was willing to pay half-price of about $6 for it, but a non-botanically aware clerk standing next to the store manager when he was ringing up the override for the reduced price said, "That plant is dead. I wouldn't pay more than a $1 for it." The manager apparently agreed and I got a great bargain!

Here's a rescue orchid that I've had for a few years. I've never had a Phalaenopsis make this many flowers all at once (most of the blooms are on secondary and tertiary spikes that grew from the original flower stalk - a good reason not to cut off out-of-flower Phalaenopsis spikes). It may have been a shock with really cold air that induced all the flowers. This orchid was hanging near the top of my greenhouse and its buds were blasted by cold air that settled down through the greenhouse fiberglass panels. I didn't think it would make any new buds at all, but look what a little stress and adversity did to it!

Jeremy