Fruits and Nuts: The beginning of my little backyard orchard, 1 by DrDoolotz

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DrDoolotz

In reply to: The beginning of my little backyard orchard

Forum: Fruits and Nuts

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of The beginning of my little backyard orchard
DrDoolotz wrote:
Darius - I used to grow nankin cherry at my old house and did not move them, but would like them again. I love currants too, and have black, white, red and pink here. I planted a honeyberry for the first time last year, so I'm interested to see how that does this year. I haven't got any blueberries because I know they have special soil needs and I've not got enough time to deal with that right now. I have red and green gooseberries coming on well this year.

I decided to put in the dwarf and semi-dwarf primarily because I could put them a little closer together, and thus have more trees (and more fruit!) in the same space. Very selfish reasons!

Yesterday we also put in 27 new raspberry plants - they won't do much this year but hopefully next year they will do well. We planted 5 each of Polana and Nova, 8 of Jewel (black raspberry), 3 Killarney, 3 Fallgold (gold raspberry) and 3 Heritage. We also transplanted what we *think* is a Chester thornless blackberry that I bought last year, but the tag is gone and I can't remember for sure. :-)

Here's a picture of how we set out the raspberries. We have 3 levels of wires to which we will attach the canes as they grow, to make it easier for picking and organizing them.