Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Greenhouse: Shade Cover For Summer & Insulation Blanket For Winter, 1 by CreeksideFarm

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright CreeksideFarm

Subject: Shade Cover For Summer & Insulation Blanket For Winter

Forum: Greenhouse

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Shade Cover For Summer & Insulation Blanket For Winter
CreeksideFarm wrote:
I have had my one piece fiberglass UV gelcoated greenhouse for a month now and am working on getting a shade cloth to throw over the outside for the summer.

I am new at shadecloth shopping and notice that there are options, such as % of shading - ranging from 30% to 70% shade. Also with the material there is the regular dark stuff and a silver Alluminette material that is said to deflect the heat. This appears to be more durable, at least in the pictures. Anyone out there with shadecloth experience, I would appreciate comments & opinions on what to get & where to get it.

I would like to keep some things in there all summer, if possible. At least on the lower shelves and maybe a few things planted right in the ground under the benches. I'm an hour inland from the Oregon coast, so it's not desert type hot in the summer. We do have quite a few days in the 80's & 90's and nights usually cool down to the 50's. I do have two roof vents with auto openers and a manual open back window and front door. Even with everything open, the inside temperature on sunny days is already is about 20 degrees hotter than outside. That is now, with no shade covering on it.

Thinking ahead for the next winter, I'm wondering if there is an insulating blanket type material that I could get to throw over to hold in some heat in the winter. Any ideas on that?