Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: Ramona, my 1st clematis, contradictory pruning info, help?, 1 by docgipe

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright docgipe

In reply to: Ramona, my 1st clematis, contradictory pruning info, help?

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Ramona, my 1st clematis, contradictory pruning info, help?
docgipe wrote:
Attempting to confirm a plan. I have a 15' to 20' class clamatis approved by grower for my zone planted last year following good solid average advise read here. The fifty dollar hole was dug and planted last spring. The rootball was absolutely beautiful at about half the size of a quart milk container. We root pruned lightly when planting. It has produced one runner about three feet and three or four about eight inches or a little more. They are just begining to show leaves. We fed organic 4-2-4 and fish/kelp tea three weeks ago by drenching. At the same time we introduced mycorrhizae of both endo and ecto types not knowing which clematis likes. The arbor is being built as we speak. My plan is to tie up the longest arm and pinch it just above where we tie it off and step back waiting for the other arms to take off. Sometime this summer pinch again. We will maintain modest light teas applications of which we make many backing off to no more feeding after July 15. October 1 is our first frost date.

That's it...............Oh! I will finish the arbor. :) See any bo bo's in the plan please critique.