Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: What's growing on my Night Blooming Jasmine?, 1 by MacFL

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright MacFL

In reply to: What's growing on my Night Blooming Jasmine?

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of What's growing on my Night Blooming Jasmine?
MacFL wrote:
ECrane: Last transplant I did which was a couple of days ago, to rid the pot of the cow manure compost, the roots looked good. White, stringy, and looking healthy. No brown or black mush whatsoever. This was also the same time I held the plant in my hand and turned it upside down and sprayed the little darling with Neem oil to rule out Spider mites as many had suggested. I put an inch of pea gravel in the bottom of the pot, then replanted it in Hyponex potting soil. (I also found out today through some Internet research that this is not good soil either. See my post above about this if you haven't already). I too may start making my own.

The CRAZY thing is, is that this plant does well indoors in the 78 degree AC under the Ecobulb, so I think that should effectively rule out a root issue, wouldn't you? I am asking sincerely, because as you know, I am the "greenest" green-thumb wannabe here. It's JUST when I try to put it outside that it throws a tantrum. Bloody hell, man.

So, I have resolved to do as many have suggested. Take a chance on mother nature. I am going to leave this plant be. I am going to put it out in an hour per day of early morning sun, and then move it to a shaded spot in the yard, which will most likely be on or near the west side of the yard under the huge Southern Live Oak and Pine tree mix that is in the lot next to me. It will not be getting much if any sunlight after this one hour in the morning I have it on my patio. I am also going to stop watering it until the soil dries out some. The pot doesn't drain when I water the plant at all, so I think Rj may be onto something. I think I have too much soil and not enough plant. STILL - That doesn't explain why it does so well indoors under a CFL bulb and not outside where it belongs. Wimp indeed. SPOILED ROTTEN I'll say.

I will let it be. Sink or swim.

I will look at it everyday, but that is it. I won't touch it.

It's up to the garden gnome to save it, I guess. :)

Will post progress and photos a couple of times daily. Should be quite the drama. Tune in and turn on, mates!

By the way.. here is the up to the minute photo of the problem child taken just ten minutes ago, (which is approximately 11 hours after being back inside the house under the ecobulb). Going to turn out the light now and let it sleep. It's got a big day tomorrow. Thanks a million, everyone!

G'night from LBK!