Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: What's growing on my Night Blooming Jasmine?, 1 by MacFL

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright MacFL

In reply to: What's growing on my Night Blooming Jasmine?

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of What's growing on my Night Blooming Jasmine?
MacFL wrote:
G'day everyone!

Well, I tried ecrane's advice and put the jasmine outside this morning into full shade around 10:15 am. It's a nice day today. 80°F, mostly cloudy, wind out of the south at 5 mph and humidity is 66%.

I just went outside at 11:15 pm and found the NBJ wilting yet again. The photo below was taken about 2 minutes after bringing it back into the house to show you the degree of wilt. Before putting it outside it was very upright, and lively looking, and the branches had some spring to them. Now they are hanging as you can see from the photo.

I am at a total loss as to what to do here. I have this thing potted in a 16" pot of a 60/40 mixture of Hyponex potting soil and indigenous FL soil respectively.

So I am not sure what to make of this, really. I did some research on Hyponex and have found it to have a very bad reputation, and even some articles suggesting it contains high levels of Arsenic. One story I read online mentioned a cat dying after drinking the drainage water in a pan from a plant planted in Hyponex. Does sound a wee bit like an urban myth to me, but who knows. Maybe the soil IS the problem?

I have the plant back under its 150W CFL Ecobulb and if and when it perks back up, I may consider trying to once again replant this bloody thing into a different brand of potting soil just to try. Then again, maybe I should just try some straight Florida soil with no additives, no fertilizer, etc.

Any recommendations on a GREAT potting soil? Money is not an issue. Saving this plant is. I bought the Hyponex because being the rookie that I am, I assumed potting soil was potting soil. After some research, I ASSumed incorrectly it appears.

Also, the other NBJ plant I sectioned off of this plant is not going to make it. It amounts to a small trunk. No foliage, and it looks pretty sad. I am too ashamed to photograph it. LOL

Would appreciate any further advice before I give up on this specimen.

Cheers,

Mac

This message was edited Apr 20, 2009 11:54 AM

This message was edited Apr 20, 2009 11:57 AM