Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: Where can I find earth staples?, 1 by ClematisGuru

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ClematisGuru

In reply to: Where can I find earth staples?

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Where can I find earth staples?
ClematisGuru wrote:
hey , blissful. there is a thread called "serpentine layering" that explains and layering is referred to in many of the threads here. ways to keep your clem going with baby plants.
top collar, well guess we need s stickie, i am out of energy. if you love clems, or are starting a true addiction, you will enjoy going thru a lot of these threads and reading all the myths, science, lore and prayer tactics we all use. if you are not motivated to wade thru it, you are not on the way to true addiction.
collars are a way to hold the soil high up on the clem and also not lose track of it....protect against erosion, keep the base defined. many comments on these threads on it. it is a clemguru thing, not that widespread as a planting technique. but works for me. i like to define where that clem is, mark it and take care of it. if i lose the clem, at least i am aware of it!
i have so many clems this helps me immensely. i will post a photo of a collar on a baby plant (clematis consort in ground from last year) here again, and when it is warm and dry outside (my zone crazy wet. cold right now) take a pic of it on a bigger clem. also i believe snails do not like to cross the top of the collar. if you have a lot of snails, place the collar in the soil cut side up vs top of pot side up. a snail will not cross a rough surface that will cut it's body.
may your addiction and love of the genus grow and develop...you are in a great zone for clems...GO FOR IT