Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: I'm looking for info on boxwood shrubs, 1 by LeawoodGardener

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright LeawoodGardener

In reply to: I'm looking for info on boxwood shrubs

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of I'm looking for info on boxwood shrubs
LeawoodGardener wrote:
I'm with Resin! Nothing is more glorious than a traditional boxwood garden. I have found that certain varieties have LESS smell than others. In zone 5b our hardiest varieties (Wintergem and Wintergreen) have hardly any scent. Last spring I planted a hedge of "True English" dwarf boxwood with disastrous results! Of the 105 plants in this hedge, I had to replace 65 this spring!

The "True English" plants had that strong scent, but evidently couldn't take the harsh climate (or my neglectful gardening). Here's what it looked like before I replaced the dead plants last week. I replaced the dead plants with Wintergem - which I have in hedges in several other locations - I've never lost a plant. I'm afraid it may look kind of 'checkered' with two different varieties of boxwood, but I could not bring myself to tear out the living plants.

This message was edited Apr 13, 2009 1:14 PM