Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: Dallas area advice, 1 by ClematisGuru

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ClematisGuru

In reply to: Dallas area advice

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Dallas area advice
ClematisGuru wrote:
the part about the under trees may be vexing, and i am really not up on the nuances of texas. that said, water is key. assuming you have irrigation in the plan?

also hard to advise on "dappled sunshine". gauging level of sun difficult. in my zone, the level of sun in april can be "dappled" and in june, too shady for plant to maximize. i have made this mistake over and over. in one case ended up taking out a large , old crabapple tree after i had designed the area for some clems and realized my mistake. that is extreme, best to plan according to mid summer shade level.

my favorite shade lover is hagley hybrid. another popular one, you might like if you like stargazer lilly effect, is nelly moser. both hold bloom color in dappled or partial shade and bleach out in full sun.

best to check with local sources and resources.......most clems can take some shade, which is a nice feature of the group. hagley hybrid has a precious little inky blue spot at the base of the sepals, which if planted in too much sun does not show up. am attaching a 08 hagley photo, hope that precious little inky blue spot shows up in the photo...this clem is also known, and sold as, as "pink chiffon" in some areas. good luck and have fun. remember gardening is a series of mistakes you learn from, and can hopefully afford and get pleasure from.