Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: mY gLORIFIED pOTTING sHED - pART 2, 1 by BLOSSOMBUDDY

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright BLOSSOMBUDDY

In reply to: mY gLORIFIED pOTTING sHED - pART 2

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of mY gLORIFIED pOTTING sHED - pART 2
BLOSSOMBUDDY wrote:
Well, on occassion we dig up the lilies because sometimes they are in a place they have spread to and do not belong or they become too thick. The patch we just dug up were in pots but the pots heaved this winter and so we had to straighten out the bed. I have seem some of my tigerlily bulbs get as big as melons and so those monsters need to get a bigger pot! Seems those bulbs thrive near the dog park.. hmmm.. a little doggie do will do it! LOL! yuk, but true!

Tiger lilies have a tendency to be that way because they get the little bulbets on their staulks and they will go every where. I pot most all of my bulbs so to as to keep the moles and voles form invading their space and destroying them. The critters do not eat them, they just tunnel near them and the air pockets cause them to die.

Feels a tad warmer this morning. Not sure what the temp is, but I ran out in my "shorts" to take the dog out.. it is supposed to rain again so I guess I will be spending another day either doing house house work...dread dread.. or updating my garden journals.. to which I need to get caught up on some swapping. Think I will put some long pants on.. its not thaaat warm. Long about the 19th of April, that is when I can get to serious gardening around here usually the threat of snow is gone, but I have seen snow on Mothers Day.. I sure wished I got my taters in two weeks ago before all this jolly rain.

This is good, I found free seed packet templates that you can print off the Internet yesterday... check it out!

http://www.blossomswap.com/envelopes.html

I love coleus. You can take cuttings on them to make new plants. Regret though in my garden, any annual has to be potted..I am pretty much a perennial planter due to the tide! Its one of the disadvantages I have living on a flood plain. Its a garden of survival of the fittest. That is why too I have so many daylilies. they do well here and so do my daffodils. My soil is poor too so I have to go with the plants that grow best in that condition.

LOL!! I am so laughing.. the wrong side of the street!! Too funny! And I just bet, most Americans in London or other places down under or over do it all the time! They come here and do the same thing! Old habbits die hard! Hey terri, wheres that paper daff arrangement you are doing???! These inquirying eyes must see!

Here is one of my orange tigerlilies. The lilies are not where I originally planted, but them and another plant I have that grows rampant is my tall garden phlox. Those are like plants I care less on where they pop up! Just let them do their thing. My garden is not at all formal. Some of the other plants I got that I also allow to run rampant are spiderwarts. I have golden rod here and achillea... now those two I wish they were not so prevelant. My DH refers to them as weeds. I keep telling him, weeds are just plants that are out of place.. well his theory on the golden rod is that they need their own planet. LOL! My margarites are spreaders too. Now those animals have spread all over in our driveway....along with the achillea.