Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Best time to divide?, 1 by gabagoo

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gabagoo

In reply to: Best time to divide?

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Best time to divide?
gabagoo wrote:
I guess I really should list the plants that work the best. I'll have to get around to that. one of these days.
The best ones, hands down - Day Lillies!
I don't think ANYTHING can kill them off. They have survived all sorts of weather, served as a comfy nap spot for a stray cat and occassional raccoon. They have been trampled on by raccoons using them to reach the water in the birdbath.
The ones I have originally came from a pot that came with the house. I moved here in Sept, 1997. I divided them in 2000 into 2 pots. I suppose I really should have split them into 3 pots at the time. The 2 pots were divided in 2003. Now I had 4 pots. I gave one to my mother. In 2006 I divided the 3 pots in half, gave 3 "bunches" away - so I still had 3. In 2008 I divided 2 of the pots in half, gave one away and brought a pot to the a Round-Up. I let everyone take whatever they wanted & brought back the empty pot. So right now I still have 3 pots.
So that 1st pot from 1997 went a l-o-n-g way.