Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Japanese irises - why don't you grow them PART 2, 1 by pollyk

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pollyk

In reply to: Japanese irises - why don't you grow them PART 2

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Japanese irises - why don't you grow them PART 2
pollyk wrote:
What do you use for leaf spot, Dee?

That is what I heard about the spuria, they like lots of water at first, but the year after planting can grow pretty much on their own.

I use just a regular cheap 10-10-10 as fertilizer for the JIs, and use MiracleGro, alternating with Miracid every two weeks. Upon Dees advice I also have been putting manure heavily on them in the fall. I still haven't piled it up over the crown, I'm a little afraid to do that here. Maybe I'll try it this winter with some vigorous one.

Again, I believe the only thing that killed your JIs, Bonjon is lack of water, whether it be available water due to the soil conditions or shortness of water from your drought conditions. I don't believe anything else would have killed them. Slowed them down, maybe, but not killed them.

Here's something anyone wishing to grow JIs, but having poor water retention might consider. I purchased mini pond tubs from Lowes for about 8.00, and set them in the ground about 4-5 inches down, on top of some small stones. I made holes in the tubs, small enough for the water to slowly pass through, and then I grew my water loving plants around them. I fill the tubs twice weekly, and the plants get plenty of water to the roots.