Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tropical Zone Gardening: Orchids then and now. The story of 13 orchids and counting.., 1 by goofybulb

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright goofybulb

In reply to: Orchids then and now. The story of 13 orchids and counting..

Forum: Tropical Zone Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Orchids then and now. The story of 13 orchids and counting..
goofybulb wrote:
Oh, Dave! Always beautiful flowers!

Nothing new on my orchid front... well, some are stagnant or worse... :o( Others started looking better, with fresh growth, no blooms though. But this keeps me going!

Christi, I really think you should try a couple! I know they are addicting (ask me how I know?). From all the orchids I have, the friendliest so far is the little Tolumnia. She likes bright light (some filtered sun, too), and she lets you know if you water properly. If not enough, the leaves turn a bit reddish. When you increase the watering, they revert to green. Right now she gets watered every other day, and "lives" in a bowl with shells, stones and water to increase the humidity. I must have been doing something good to her, she flowered while inside twice (on the same spike), and the blooms keep for about a month!
While I will never recommend, based on my experience, a Phalenopsis for a beginner, this is a good one!
I hope your MIL is better and on the route to recovery! Lots of health wishes going your way!

Carol, now that you've read my orchid saga (hmmm, I like that, "prissy primadonnas"!!!), what do you think about me trying Hoyas? I really hope I'll be better!

Hugs and best wishes for everyone!
Alexandra