Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Seeds, Plugs and Winter Sowing, 1 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: Seeds, Plugs and Winter Sowing

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Seeds, Plugs and Winter Sowing
Gitagal wrote:
Chris--I don't think Datura is like tomatoes that you can bury the stems and they will grow roots...I just say that--not having anything to substantiate it...
Your seedlings look a bit leggy. Did you have them under lights? Anyway............

As I always have suggested---plant them up in 4" pots and then wait until they are about 4"-5" tall before you transfer them to their permanent location in a bed. Be gentle! Don't mess with the roots.....Just lift....and set in the prepared hole.....
They will sit there for about a week or so saying..."Whacha do that for???".....and then take off!

You are smart to start them inside early, as if you just planted them outside when the weather turns warm, they would not have enough time to grow the seed pods to maturity (where they start splitting) to collect seeds.

You are further North than I--so you need to really start them early.....

You cannot collect seeds from a seed pods if it has not started to split. The seeds will not be mature.....I learned that the hard way the first year I grew these beauties....

Here's what "split" seed pods looks like.....For me, here in Baltimore, they start, seriously, ripening in mid October or so.....Then you have to watch them like a hawk every other day....
CUT them free from the stems--do not pull!--the seed pods will fall apart in your hands. BIG mess....

Here's one days harvest from last Fall-----Lots and lots of seeds to be had!!!!
That's why I have so many seeds to share!

Gita