Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: creative clematis supports, 1 by ClematisGuru

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ClematisGuru

Subject: creative clematis supports

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of creative clematis supports
ClematisGuru wrote:
hello all. as many of you know,i love to grow clems on naturalized supports such as evergreens, hydrangea, arborvitae etc etc. however, that said, with as many clems as i have, supports are an ongoing issue. how to keep the gardens from looking trashy yet come up with something feasible in terms of $$ and being able to install them myself. (do not like to ask hubby for help due to mountainout of mole hill syndrome)
this spring i am expecting a good number of clems, plus had ones planted last fall that i did not worry about supports for due to the onset of winter.
yesterday i had a brainwave i want to share. i used upside down tomatoe cages, and fixed them into the ground with landscape mat pins. the garden i am using them in is in an area where i "trial" clems, yet still want a decent look. i had an abundance of grapevine balls from some prior decorating theme. i topped each upside down tomatoe cage with a grapevine ball as a finial on the top.
i will put two to a cage from the outside for large flowered clems, and for vitacella clems, one for each cage, from the inside for those types (more vigorous first year with those)
i will not use them for species types, which are too vigorous from year one for them.
anyway with tomatoe cages at a buck 50 and the grapevine balls already here, i put together about 20 of these to day for this year's garden and be looking for other finial choices to make more.
here is a pic. you get the idea.