Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: Happy Birthday Gita!!!!

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Happy Birthday Gita!!!!
Gitagal wrote:
Willie,

My gut instinct is doubting any success from the roses I received.
I am quite q gardener--and it just seems unlikely that I could tale cut roses, that have been flown across half the World, kept refrigetated and now are sitting in water amanded with that "plant food".

I agree that cuttings taken from Shrub Roses have a chance. I think that is what most of the articles in the links you provided refer to. Nowhere did they talk about hybrid teas.....
And surely--the long-stemmed roses one gets from a Florist, are Tea Roses.

The below c/p'ed paragraph is from the last link you posted.

How To Propagate Roses

PROPAGATING ROSES
Commercially almost all roses are propagated by budding. This takes a large degree of skill and involves buying rootstocks. For this reason most amateur gardeners who propagate roses, do so by using cuttings. This is the easiest way to propagate plants for you own rose garden at little cost.

Some modern roses, Hybrid Teas mainly, are not sufficiently vigorous to propagate by cuttings - only the stronger growing varieties such as 'Iceberg' and 'Peace' are amongst those which are suitable. In general terms, floribundas, climbers, ramblers and shrub roses are very likely to succeed from cuttings, most Hybrid Tea roses are likely to fail from cuttings.

I appreciate your help and time looking up the links--but I think I will pass on this "experiment" ....even though you said you rooted roses that were at the Florist you worked on. They too had to be long-stemmed Tea Roses....right?

I have several Roses---thee hardiest and most fragrant one is "Sweet Surrender". My "Autumn Sunset" climber also does well. My favorite red rose I have is "Proud land". Many of the others are struggling because of the tree root compatition to different degrees and also that a couple of them were not quality roses and have very limited growth--like ONE stem for 3 years! Too bad--as these are nice Roses--"First Prize" and "Chicago Peace". They looked OK when I bought them--but never "took" the way I would have expected them to. I do all the right things--but nada!

This is the first, and only bloom, on the only stem it had the first Spring on my "First prize"....It is the prettiest picture of a Rose I have ever taken.....

Gita