Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: Starting new clem, 1 by ClematisGuru

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ClematisGuru

In reply to: Starting new clem

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Starting new clem
ClematisGuru wrote:
yes. cut the rim off a 12 inch nursery pot about 4 inches deep. partially bury the rim around the plant. you may have to cut it open , then re-staple it into the circle if you can't get it over the plant.

fill the rim with ammended soil and prune the plant back to one or tow "nodes" from the ground.

you will have effectively planted it deeper with this method and the combo of this with the planting will
encourage new shoots and a healthier more vigorous plant. here is a photo,with a younger plant with one of the "clematis collars" as i call them. i have them on all of my clems. it helps keep soil in place and stop erosion of the soil around the plant. also if they heave in the winter there is more soil to protect the roots.

sorry i do not have a photo of a collar aroud a matrue plant, but i have them on all of my plants. you can also make a collar out of rocks, which i used to do, but the nursery pot collars work better.

PS i changed my user name from niobe to cGematisguru.