Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Carolina Gardening: Snow scenes, 1 by missingrosie

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright missingrosie

In reply to: Snow scenes

Forum: Carolina Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Snow scenes
missingrosie wrote:
No - not forsythia --I still haven't looked for the one little clump I planted a few years ago -- on another thread I mentioned that I thought that was a summer bloomer and the one little clump I have is off the beaten track so I don't know if it is in bloom and what it looks like. I plan on hunting for it the end of this week when the weather warms up. That is (was!!) the edgeworthia.. It is really unattractive when leafed out and overall really not so hot when it is blooming (although the blooms are pretty) All the blooms look down and go every which way and the branches have nothing special to recommend them. It is better placed out of the way --not a focal point -- just something to perfume the air.

Gardening, your edgeworthia will bloom next year. It takes about two years for the shoots to bloom but you will get just one or two blooms on top of that skinny branch..then much more the next year as I recall. I confess I have trimmed a few thick branches back to 2/3 and put a few bottles over the branch (like a bottle tree) to add some color and try to spiff up those shrubs in and out of bloom.