Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: mY gLORIFIED pOTTING sHED , 1 by BLOSSOMBUDDY

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright BLOSSOMBUDDY

In reply to: mY gLORIFIED pOTTING sHED

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of mY gLORIFIED pOTTING sHED
BLOSSOMBUDDY wrote:
Thanks Happgarden! Keep on visiting, I am just getting warmed up here and getting ready for the season!

What I do not like about using bricks for flooring is out here we have moles and pocket gophers so they reack havoc on the lawn as well as tunnel and hill into the floor of the greehhouse.. so to have to be messing with resetting bricks all the time. .to me that is just too much sounding like work!

We will put a layer of woodchips and that retains the moisture and if the critters do tunnel, well, we just rake the mounds down or take a garden hose and ruin their tunnels by flooding them.

Ok, now here is a shot of my back window...we put the mesh over it to keep the chickens in. It is just a lever pop up hinged at the top. I like that better than the opposite style of window where it flops down for sure! I do not know if your manufacturer offers the option. But if it does I do highly recomment mine over the other. I would much rather have the wind knock it shut than blow it open and destroy the plants inside.

Basically the wire mesh we put in on the window later was cut to fit and molded around the hole and lip of the window on the inside edge. We drilled two holes and just poked another wire through to wire the wire mesh on. Works great and also keeps coons and cats out.

You can do the same thing on the door window!

You might just have to play a bit to see what you like and what works for you. What works for me, does not necessarily work for someone else. My modifications only come with what we found for us that works the best for us!

Now the wall divider that we installed to keep the chickens on their half of the greenhouse is made from an old peice of corncrib mesh. It is heavy metal much like a cattle panel but the mesh is tighter in weave so the birds could not get out....It is just cut to the shape of the greenhouse and we took a 2x4 to stabelize it to the standing position and the hubby cut me a walkthrough door that opened to the inside on the animals.. That helped push them in so no one would escape on entry or exiting their space! And he made a paddle latch out of wood as you see in the photo above! If you cannot find crib panels, cattle panel will do, but you will then need chicken whire on that to make the wall escape proof!

(Pardon the mess in there, it is now just being used to store my seeds that were harvested last season and some nursery cans. I do not get too neat at the end of the year becasue usually I end up just stuffing things in when the snow flies and call it quits until spring!)