Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: mY gLORIFIED pOTTING sHED , 1 by BLOSSOMBUDDY

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright BLOSSOMBUDDY

In reply to: mY gLORIFIED pOTTING sHED

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of mY gLORIFIED pOTTING sHED
BLOSSOMBUDDY wrote:
Happgarden, your door windo flops down! Mine ios hinged at the top. I think I like mine better!

Reason.. the rain does not get in and if the wind does happen to catch mine when it is propped open.. it will pretty much just shut lift it of the prop and shut it....

Yours too leaves easy room for small birds to fly in. Mine seems to deter that.

Now on the timbers you are mounting this thing on, those do have to be pressure treated. Dont even think of using nonepressure treated wood there.

I like woodchips as flooring, but on the concrete pad I liked using just a plain rubber mat! Or in the winter would put straw down. And yep, the concrete is easier to keep seed and weed free and no moles!
I will not be without a rubber mat to stand on. And I do keep a small wooden barstool in mine for those day when I am transplanting.

You also need a place to keep a few tools.

You notice the mail box outside mine! Yup, its a fine tool box and ornamental in the garden. But yes, if you are keepign tools in the greenhouse, you want a dry spot to keep them dry and clean.

As for putting plants under the tables, yes, that is doable too. We got some stack tables from our farm store. They happened to be throwing them out so we scarfed on a great deal!

We put a cattle panel divider in ours because we were rasing chickens in their last year...that worked nice. I could still have half the greenhouse for my vegitation!

I never did have any problems with bugs in raising any plants in it.

Did occassionally run into a damping off problem which I blame the soil and watering on.

We have an outdoor yard light by ours. So we get a little extended lighting from that at night.

You do need to plan for havig a close outlet nearby. One that cannot readily get wet and need to be careful so that when you water you do not mess with your fan if you are using one like ours.

You will want a thermometer in the thing.

One neat thing is is that when you are not growing anything in it, you can use it for other duties. case in point small animals...but take regard to the heat. It is not all year you will do that.