Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: mY gLORIFIED pOTTING sHED , 1 by BLOSSOMBUDDY

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright BLOSSOMBUDDY

In reply to: mY gLORIFIED pOTTING sHED

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of mY gLORIFIED pOTTING sHED
BLOSSOMBUDDY wrote:
Well c'mon up and take a look!! You will have to pardon the mess.. I have not started anything for spring yet. And as you can see by the looks of everything outside, its still winter! So basically right now, the lil greenhouse is a "glorified" potting shed at this time of year. I will show you more in a minute!

Our GH is 8ft x 16 ft. with a peak of 8 foot.

Depending on what you are growing will depend on how you arrange it as you will see things can get a tad tight in here.and every year is different!

What I hope to do in this thread is just give a virtual tour as I use it so that should give everyone an idea how it works as I use it!

Ours is mounted in the ground. The house is all one peice and we took treated 6 x 6's in the ground horizontally and leveled them up nice, then we took and set the greenhouse on the 6x6's, then put treated 2x4s on top of the flange of the greenhouse length wise and then drove numerous long pole spikes through the 2x 4s and the flange and the 6x6's through that and the ground kind of like how they do mobile homes with spikes and then we bermed it with dirt... or in our case sand.

We moved our lil greenhouse from our old farm here and at the old farm we had it mounted on an old concrete pad and well, that was much better than how we have it now, but we were utilizing an old pad from an old mibilehome and we never poured a pad here. The greenhouse is technically portable. And that kinda too will effect yoru taxes.. some locations, if it is a portable building, you are not taxed for it as like real estate! It is personal property then.

Mounted either way and mounted properly it does fine in the wind and we have had 80-85 mile and hour wind storms on occassion. It has withstood hailstorms as well.

You will notice on top it has two vents. You need to tie those vents down for the winter. They have automatic openers that are solare powered and they will open to vent the house but you do not want them popping open in bad weather as they can fold all the way back and that is not good for the openers or the hinges or to have it flopping in the winds.

It also has a back window.. it is pop open style with a lever that holds it open and you can adjust it for ventalation or close it in the wind.

Our Gh is all fiberglass and the fiberglass did have a UV protection in it. It is about 17 or 18 years old now so I dont think the UV is any good at this age, but the house is still functional.

Minuses is it can be too small! We have never heated it in the winter so I cannot say anything there.

In the summer it can get too hot so then you need to put a fan in there to circulate the air and keep things watered.

We have raised chickens in it, but I do not recommend doing that in August! Early spring is fine and fall through winter is ok and then you woudl heat it if you were doing chicks. Pretty versatile eh?!

We have modified ours for our various uses! Which I will show you as we go in!

I do not know what they cost today.. but I think we paid around $2200 for it and well it has paid for itself many times over. My only regret, we did not get the bigger one, but at the time, it was what we could afford and plenty!

If I can find them, I wil see if I still have the old brochures that showed a diagram on how to mount it!

You will have to be patient with me as I go look!

So ok, has that pretty much covered your first few questions happgarden?