Photo by Melody

Wildlife: Heidi Chronicles: Got Milk?, 1 by DreamOfSpring

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DreamOfSpring

In reply to: Heidi Chronicles: Got Milk?

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Heidi Chronicles:  Got Milk?
DreamOfSpring wrote:
Hi Ruth,

Well, not exactly. I'm sure I would have gotten more takers on the milk if the bowl had been farther away from me, after all they did drink as much of the milk from Heidi's dish (and the ground) as they could salvage before it was gone. Anyhow, it's so difficult to throw milk, so the small bowl was at arms reach of my bench. Only a small number of the raccoons would come up close enough to drink the milk from it. They drank about 1/2 of it 'plain'. Then when they lost interest, I added the last few drops of syrup from the empty syrup bottle (which just happened to still be in my tote bag) to the milk. I figured the milk would be very good for them, and if a few drops of syrup would get them to drink it then it would be worth that little bit of sugar. That did the trick, well, except for the one smarty pants who intentionally turned the last bit of milk over to get at the syrup on the bottom of the bowl.

I still have about a quart of milk left for tomorrow. I gave Widget some, BTW, and he loved it. I'll have to take out another bowl for Heidi (w/o the hole).

See, here's the guy (or gal) who turned over the milk to get at the syrup. You can barely see the syrup on the bottom around the edge.