Photo by Melody

Wildlife: Heidi Chronicles: Got Milk?, 1 by DreamOfSpring

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DreamOfSpring

In reply to: Heidi Chronicles: Got Milk?

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Heidi Chronicles:  Got Milk?
DreamOfSpring wrote:
Sharran,

You know, I thought the very same thing. The 1st time I wanted to give Heidi something liquid, don't recall if it was nectar or milk, I was trying to figure out how to keep her from turning the dish over and spilling it before she could drink it. All I had on hand, though, was a plastic dish, so I gave it to her expecting the worst. That was one of the many, many times when I was reminded of how much I underestimate them.

Raccoons are much smarter than that - except, for some reason, when it comes to water which they will spill in a minute, but with 'food' they know to keep it upright. It's the same with eggs. I figured they would loose 1/2 of the raw eggs when they cracked them, but an experienced raccoon like Heidi can roll a raw egg around in the pool for a while and then, while still in the pool of water, make a small hole in the 'top' of the egg and such all of its contents out without loosing a drop.

Interesting you should mention their velvety soft hands. I was just about to post this close up of Ursula's paw. It's covered in milk, but you can see the inside of the 'hand' somewhat. Notice, also, her smallish and oddly shaped ears.