Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Does anyone have a moon garden?, 1 by pennefeather

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pennefeather

Subject: Does anyone have a moon garden?

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Does anyone have a moon garden?
pennefeather wrote:
The first time that I heard of this, I thought it was crazy nonsense - Who would grow plants just to look at during the evening? I want to see my plants in the light of day, when I can see the details, and admire the pretty colors. Just recently, I began to change my mind.

I have an area not far from the back of the house that we haven't touched since moving in three years ago. Azaleas are in the background, underneath what I refer to as our wooded area, since this is the only area that boost trees other than the maple in front of the house. I think that this would be the perfect place to have a moon garden since it is almost directly in front or our back door. We get an excellent view, whether we are sitting at the dinner table or relaxing on the couch.

So this is going to be one of my any projects this spring. I've already begun a lasgana garden there this fall, but I have also already made the decision to deepen the bed as soon as it is warm enough to turn the hose on, and not worry about freezing the pipes or my hands.

Currently, I am planning to plant lilies, white swan coneflowers, astilbe, liatris, and possibly shasta daisies if the deepest part will give me full sun, otherwise I am dealing with partly sunny. I may include some stella d'oros since I have plenty of these also. This past fall, I planted some karl foerster grass (love it), and white guara, although I'm not sure if there is enough sun for that. We do have a resident rabbit, whom I almost ran over in the car today, but I missed him by a hare (I couldn't resist that one!)

What else could I put in this area? I would love to see pictures of any moon gardens that you have done or are planning in the future.