Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tropical Zone Gardening: Yesterday...., 1 by lourspolaire

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright lourspolaire

In reply to: Yesterday....

Forum: Tropical Zone Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Yesterday....
lourspolaire wrote:
Aloha, Ka po'e apau.

Carol, congratulations on having been sought out by the Smithsonian Institute. And you don't know why! Obviously, they know a good gardener when they hear about one. That project sounds so exciting.

That yellow hibiscus is just stunning. We were told that only the yellow hibiscus is the state flower of Hawai'i. You can't get much more stately than that one. Gail said: Imagine a lei made of those! Gail was hoping to be greeted with a lei upon our arrival in Hawai'i. We landed at 2:30 in the AM and there was not a lei in sight. The next morning, I went to chinatown and got her one. Cost of the lei: $25; taxi to buy the lei: $38; the smile on her face: priceless. She still remembers it fondly. It was a green orchid lei made up of more than 200 blooms. She wore it to board the ship, wore it every night and wore it for debarkation. It lasted 14 days. When not worn, she left it in its box in the refrigerator. But I digress.

Princess K, whatever do you mean when you say you are too ignorant to join in? If it weren't for a lousy master gardener's course I took 2 years ago and the attention my fellow gardeners on DG have lavished upon me, I would still be talking about snow, frozen blue clay, ice storms and zone 3 perrenials that wouldn't survive winter in zone 5 no matter what you did to them. Don't say things like that, dearest. Ignorance is a state of mind characterized by the brain steadfastly refusing to even attempt to better itself. Noone suffers from that at Dave's Garden. Just joining Dave's Garden is an indication you do not suffer from that debilitating ailment. Don't make me come down there!

Good news, everyone. I am leaving on the 3rd annual Guy's Only Cruise with my friend Claude on March 8th. The Freedom of the Seas will be our home as we visit Porto Rico, St.Maarten and St.Thomas. Here's a picture of the ship I took a year ago in Jamaica.

Aloha.
Pu'ole.