Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tropical Zone Gardening: Yesterday...., 1 by AlohaHoya

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright AlohaHoya

Subject: Yesterday....

Forum: Tropical Zone Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Yesterday....
AlohaHoya wrote:
I had a wonderful visit with Dave/Metrosideros in his garden. He lives quite close by....about 1 mile as the crow flies...but not being a crow it takes me about 13 mins on the roundabout route.

Dave's garden had to wait while he recovered from being really ill (I think he mentioned before how he was a walking timebomb with Type I Diabetes and didn't know it...and medical treatment here is sketchy at best) and has grown and grown and grown and threatening to bury everything. little by little Dave is managing to whack the jungle back and uncover his garden...and what has been cleared away is stunning! Wonderful collections of plants, some of which have gone 'bush' themselves... He has a lot to take care of right now. I managed to come away with some terrific cuttings and plantlets...to add to my growing jungle...

Dave is helping me with a project: I was contacted by the Smithsonian (no idea why, but I did) who wants to plant a garden of 'Canoe' plants. These are plants brought to Hawaii by the Polynesians when they came here and they have a display of the canoes used etc. Knowing next to nothing about these plants, Dave has come to my rescue...and had infinite sources and resources to find the plants the Smithsonian wants. His knowledge is impressive!!!

Here is a clump of wild ground orchids in bloom now - Phaius tankervillii (not sure I have the spelling correct)...or Nun's Cap Orchid. The fragrance was terrific!!!

Thanks, Dave!!