Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tropical Zone Gardening: First tentative steps ..., 1 by tropicbreeze

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright tropicbreeze

In reply to: First tentative steps ...

Forum: Tropical Zone Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of First tentative steps ...
tropicbreeze wrote:
Thanks Jenn, if it wasn't for having to go to work I wouldn't know what a street is. ;O) "... out of the bars"? No, I've got a few. Use them for breaking up the soil in holes.

So you're putting a squashed mozzie into the brom? Hadn't heard of that, but know that some people swear by putting insect pests through a blender and spraying that as a deterent.

I have an unorthodox method of dealing with mozzies. I leave containers with water in different parts of the garden. The mozzies are going to lay their eggs somewhere, they'll always find a place. So I make it easier for them. And they're happy. After a week when the little ones are wriggling around and wanting a bit more room, to keep them happy I put them into a bigger pond. And that makes the fish happy. And when the fish are happy I'm happy. A win win situation all round. :O)

But joking aside, I don't have as big a mozzie problem as I used to, and get around in just shorts. But there'll always be the odd one around.

My "vision"? When I start telling people it scares them, they think I'm stark raving mad. Well, I don't think I am. I know I am, so I'll keep on with my plans. In short, however, I want a rain/monsoon forest. My 100 metre driveway will be lined with rainforest trees and understorey plants.

The dam will be (actually already is) the centre of my garden. The dam will be enlarged into a horse shoe shape and have 3 deeper parts sealed to hold water all year. During the dry season those will be joined by channels but the rest will dry out as normally happens here.

The photo is my Cannonball Tree (Couroupita guianensis). Still a little small, wouldn't even be capable of having marbles yet let alone cannonballs. Only planted it a couple of weeks ago.