Photo by Melody

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: Hummingbird Sitting on Nest!, 1 by sunnyg

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright sunnyg

In reply to: Hummingbird Sitting on Nest!

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hummingbird Sitting on Nest!
sunnyg wrote:
Thanks for the ID and info on my little friend! I am so happy to know a little bit more about who and what I am watching. I’m so glad you are all having fun spying on mama hummingbird right along with me, and I love hearing about other experience with these little critters :-).
It’s been raining and I’ve been sick, so don’t have much of an update for yesterday and today. I can say she is out there right now sitting on the nest, so that is a good thing.

The day before yesterday, I learned what happens when I get too close to the nest. The way we originally discovered the nest, was when this one hummingbird kept flying at me somewhat aggressively over and over again. It was just getting dark, and we were out front getting ready to transplant a tree. I’ve never seen a hummingbird act that way before, and it really seemed like she was protecting something. In fact, we were standing right below her nest! She seems to generally tolerate my presence so far, but when she gets riled up she will even fly up and buzz the second story window and “get in my face” through the glass. I also have a hummingbird fly over and peek in the bedroom balcony door on occasion (different side and level of the house from my spying spot). Just who is actually spying on whom, I wonder? ;-)

I was down below taking pics of her the day before yesterday, and tripped, which startled her. She flew straight up, high over me….and then pooped directly on my head! I got the message loud and clear, and went back into the house. I snuck up to the window and peeked out to make sure everything was okay, and she buzzed the window! After showering (hummingbird poop, remember?), I spied on her again, she was right back on her nest, like nothing had happened. I deliberately left her alone the rest of the day because I don’t want to traumatize her, and between being sick and all the stormy weather we’ve been having, I haven’t gone out the front door since. It’s a good thing we have a garage door too, that’s all I can say, otherwise we’d be trapped in our house by a hummingbird! LOL.

Here is a pic I took, seconds before she pooped on my head!