Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Radermachera Summerscent, 1 by cestrum_SEQ

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright cestrum_SEQ

In reply to: Radermachera Summerscent

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Radermachera Summerscent
cestrum_SEQ wrote:
Kat, I couldn't find any more info on it either, other than that it's a new release. And I agree that it smells nothing like the description of the kunming cultivar on the Top Tropicals website. (Gosh but it's nice to be able to refer to other websites without resorting to ***.) I just cannot describe the smell--it's so frustrating.

Re drought: I moved to this house with over 100 pots full of cuttings/seedlings. I placed them all in shade near the tap and stuck saucers underneath them, and found they could be watered without too much fuss, and the saucers let them retain the water until the next watering (but not long enough to breed mozzies). When I planted them out into the ground, watering became a backbreaking job--one bucket per plant every allowed watering day. And some of the plants were a long way (when carrying two buckets) from the nearest tap. For most of them, this watering regimen stopped when they become established. Some--quisqualis, hibiscus, caesalpinias and other trees, and most of the gardenias--survive solely on rain now. Others, like some of the brugs, I still water by bucket as necessary. So, that's a long way of saying that maybe keeping it in a pot might be your best choice for the time being.

Alistair, according to the label (see photo), you should be able to grow it anywhere from Coober Pedy to Mt Kosciuszko :-) Seriously, you should have no difficulty growing it--probably easier to grow than most of your brugs. I'm going to plant mine beside a group of murrayas, because without the flowers you would swear it was another murraya ... until you get the surprise of the blooms. Lovely!