Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Radermachera Summerscent, 1 by cestrum_SEQ

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright cestrum_SEQ

Subject: Radermachera Summerscent

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Radermachera Summerscent
cestrum_SEQ wrote:
Hi folks, this seems to be the busiest of the post-Ausgarden forums that I've found so far. (GardenWeb Australia seems to be dead these days.) I saw a mention of this plant in another thread, but I can't find it again. That plant was bought at BigW; mine at Bunnings, which I believe is part of the same corporate groups so that makes sense. The photo shows my potted plant in full flower.

Anyway, I was wondering two things: (1) Do you think this is a cultivar of Radermachera kunming, if not R. kunming itself? (Frustratingly, the label just describes it as Radermachera 'Summerscent'.) It looks exactly like the images of R. kunming posted at [http://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi?uid=radermachera_sp&language=en&user=tt].

(2) That website describes the scent as follows: 'scent resembles roses, juicy fruit, candies, fine cologne all together and can be smelled from many yards away'. The scent is strong, agreed, but there the resemblance ends. There is no smell of roses, juicy fruit, candies etc. at all (both to me and a friend who smelled it). The label simply says 'As my name suggests, I have scented flowers'. Yes, but how to describe that scent? Not unpleasant, but indescribable by me as it's not floral, fruity, spicy or sweet. If you've smelled it, how would you describe it?